Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Bread Recall Alert

Wheat Bread products are being recalled from grocery stores. They are from the Kroger company. The recall is because pieces of plastic may be in the bread.

I received notification of this because I am on the Food and Drug Administration alert list for email.

I am sorry for the vagueness of this alert. This is the way I got it, however. Just about any bread on most grocery shelves is "wheat bread". I am guessing that it means whole wheat bread, but who knows. I will give more specifics and links further down this post.

This alert is to encourage readers to be wary of the boobie traps awaiting us unsuspecting (formerly) customers. Here we are wandering into the grocery stores like Bambi meets Godzilla and KAWHAMMO! We have to watch out for recalled bread now.

I am somewhat sorry if you are offended at my unseemly levity over this sad state of events, but I really can't help it. It strikes me as funny. If you haven't noticed yet, I have an unabashedly warped sense of humor. It entertains me a lot, thank you.

Okay, I am going to do the public service part of this post and tell you about Kroger, which markets might carry the brand and where you need be especially wary of lurking plastic bits in your daily bread. I suggest you chew unusually well for a while. You might want to spit out any bits of plastic before you swallow. You can, instead, return the loaf(ves) to the store instead. That option is being offered.

Day old bread is a rather euphemistic phrase. Bread stays on the shelf much longer than a day before it is retired to the thrift bakery.

http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTMwMzA1LjE2MjUwNzkxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDEzMDMwNS4xNjI1MDc5MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3MDQ4MDA1JmVtYWlsaWQ9eWVsemJpZXRhQHlhaG9vLmNvbSZ1c2VyaWQ9eWVsemJpZXRhQHlhaG9vLmNvbSZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm342413.htm?source=govdelivery

I know you are going to really hate it if you prefer to type in links rather than click on them. Lol. Unseemly humor again. 

In case you are one of the aforementioned typists as opposed to link clickers, the specific names of breads are mentioned. It is kind of a long list. It isn't just loaves, twists are mentioned. I didn't read the whole thing. 

Here is a list of stores that carry the Kroger brand:  Kroger, City Market, Dillons, Jay C, Food 4 Less, Fred Meyer, Fry's, King Soopers, QFC, Ralphs and Smith's.

I shop at one of those, so it caught my attention. I make my own bread, so that lets me off the hook there, though. I probably wouldn't see nearly as much humor in the situation if I ate the stuff also.

The states mentioned as being affected by the plastic bread recall are Idaho, Oregon and Washington State. I live in Alaska and whatever Washington State gets, we usually get. That Hostess corporate collapse got our only very large bakery in the state. We still have smaller ones here, but that was the cheap bread that was not shipped a couple of thousand miles. 

Now we have yet another reason to make preparedness a part of daily living. You not only enjoy fresh baked bread when you make it yourself, but you avoid getting extra roughage in the form of plastic. I also love the aroma of rising and baking bread. I call it, "Bread Perfume". It is one of the little pleasures of preparedness.

No comments:

Post a Comment