Thursday, January 31, 2013

Protect Your Computer

I am still working my way through what to do about the Java problem security warning. US Homeland Security, no less, issued a warning that people should disable Java on their computers because of ongoing security problems.

I can't tell you exactly what to do about the problem, but since I am not very techy and take a while to get through this stuff, I think I will pass on what I know so far so those of you who are more tech savvy than I am can get right on it.

First, I am giving you a link to Homeland Security's computer security section. They are the ones who issued said alert about Java. Here is your link:
http://www.us-cert.gov/current/

I believe the following link at the CERT section of Homeland Security is about part of the problem with Java: http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/625617

The above link to CERT also explains the problem with Java in more detail and tells how to deal with it. One of these suggestions is to update to the latest version of Java that is compatible with your system. Unfortunately, they also say that updating won't fix all of the Java problems. You can still get hacked anyway.

The other solution from CERT seems to be to disable Java or the web browser part of it on your computer. Apparently this will also mean some things you may want to use on your computer won't work. 

As I understand it, Apple users are more vulnerable than other PCs to the Java problem. I'm trying not to laugh about that one. Apple users usually sail serenely past many malware and hacker problems that the rest of us are subject to. I am not enjoying their discomfiture, but some of them are inclined to gloat.

Other PC users do not seem to be invulnerable to this Java problem, it just isn't quite as bad.

Here is a nice quote from Tech News Daily about the problem: "Java is a favorite target of cybercriminals because it is so easy to exploit, and also because users are frequently using outdated versions of it."

Here is a link to their site if you want to read their whole interesting article: http://www.technewsdaily.com/4165-disable-java-computer.html Here is a link to a site Tech News Daily offers that will check whether you need your Java updated and has the updates there:
http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

Tech News Daily offers more information about how to deal with your Java problem. I believe it may be a good idea to read it. They also have a sister site: Security News Daily that may tell you more about it. Here is a link to that site: http://www.technewsdaily.com/security/

My apologies for not giving you more definitive information about the Java problem, but not being very technically proficient, this is the best I can manage for you at this time. Since computer use is a vital part of emergency preparedness, for many people, including me, I felt it is important to share what I have anyway. 

Computer repairs or replacement can be very damaging to people, so we all need to do the best we can to protect our investment. I hope you, dear readers, will make it through yet another hazard safely.


No comments:

Post a Comment