Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Does Your Little Round Belly Shake Like Santa's When You Laugh Like A Bowl Full Of Jelly?

Exercise to make up for fattening holiday food will only work if you eat a little of the bad stuff.  It can take a looong time to exercise it off if you really make a pig of yourself.  I like to figure out ahead of time what goodies I absolutely cannot do without.  One of those is my annual cream puffs.  I usually make them in batches of about 70 + bite sized ones.  It is hard to cut down the quantity because of the eggs.  I may see if I can do a smaller batch this year or give the extras to someone fast before I can eat them.  It will have to be very fast, however.  I filled them with mint flavored blanc mange that did not have as many calories as a lot of my fillings, so will probably try that again.  Lowered fat pudding might be ok as well.  I don't know whether I can be satisfied with low calorie fake whipped cream or not.  I know I am going to use real maraschino cherries.

Ok.  Once you pick your poison(s), you need to find out what the damage will be.  You can look up your holiday must-have favorites on the links.  One of the calorie counter sites told me that a small cream puff will be about 73 calories.  The site link is here:  Site with calories in food.
This site is fancier and has more info about the foods like fats, etc.

I feel deprived if I don't have my cream puffs for the holidays and that can trigger eating binges later that are way worse than the cream puffs.  Sometimes you just have to go for the best you can manage and be satisfied with that.

Once you find how many calories you are dealing with, you can go to these sites and figure out how long it will take you to burn off what you plan to eat.  They have book racks for stationary bikes.  :-)  You could try pacifying yourself with music or a video or TV if your chosen exercise will allow it.  I am not sure whether you can add the calories for TV watching onto your other exercise or not.  I guess you will be able to tell when you zip up your jeans the next time.

You may not need TV while you exercise if you are a newlywed.  I also found how many calories you burn while you watch TV, read, or sleep.  I don't plan to use those exercise plans for my cream puffs, but thought I might make a reader or so happy with them.

Nifty exercise site with a list of calories burned in exercise
This is a more serious bodybuilding site that calculates the calories burned by your exact weight


This is how many calories are burned while sleeping:

61 calories per hour

Assuming a body weight of: 150 lbs


This is calories burned while you just lie there (slackers):

Doing Nothing, Lying In Bed Awake, Listening To Music (Not Talking or Reading

68 calories per hour

Assuming a body weight of: 150 lbs



Watching Television

68 calories per hour

Assuming a body weight of: 150 lbs

These are what I actually intend to do to burn off my cream puffs.  Since I weigh less than 150 pounds I know that I will have to exercise longer than an hour to burn off 476 calories in my cream puffs.  No.  I will not eat only one cream puff.  Book rack.

Stationary Bicycling, General

476 calories per hour

Assuming a body weight of: 150 lbs


Stationary bicycle, 150 Watts, Moderate Effort

476 calories per hour

Assuming a body weight of: 150 lbs

For tomorrow I thought that it would be good to write about organizing our fridges.  How are we going to get everything in our fridges for the holidays if we have moldy stuff in there?  How are we going to avoid those extra pounds if we can't find the carrot sticks when our imaginary hunger pangs strike?  If we don't find something comparatively healthy to eat, we might find ourselves with one more fattening thing to eat that we didn't plan on.  We have to get off the exercise bike sometime and we need to save it for our favorites.

I think the post after the fridge cleaning tomorrow will be things you can eat when you feel hungry that won't require extra time exercising, to burn off.







No comments:

Post a Comment